Thursday, June 14, 2007

lots o stuff

Okay, so my internet is really messed up right now, and for some reason it will not connect at anything higher than 36.4 kbps. All of you will cable may start laughing, I know its pathetic, what more pathetic is that it seems blazing fast now when it does connect to 49.2 kbps.
So I was thinking today, and something struck me as funny. I was talking to my student about the recital and that she shouldn’t read the title of her piece to the audience, she should just know it. She looked at me like I was nuts, like ‘duh, how could I forget the name of the song I’m playing?’. I said, let me demonstrate, so I took the music and said hello my name is don, and uh, im going to play (slight glance down) ‘Mission Impossible”. She laughed and said “oh I see what you mean”.
This made me think though, its kind of like when your at a restaurant and you spend like 30 minutes scouring the menu finding the stuff that you want and don’t want, your thinking to yourself ‘chicken and fries? Screw chicken and fries, im at a restaurant, I want like nice pasta stuff’ So you find what you want, you memorize the title, and all the little options that come with it. You think to yourself ‘Parmesan alfreado linguini, with a side of garden salad, hold the extra dressing….. Then you proudly announce the order to your friends, so that they can marvel at you amazing Italian skills. So you begin a conversation with your friends, all the while repeating the order back to yourself in your mind so that when the waiter or waitress comes around you don’t seem like a complete idiot, like you know what you want and you know how to order food. So the waiter/waitress gets there and they start taking orders. That’s when the pressure starts to build, you start getting like this little panic attack inside, like you have to speak in front of an audience, and when the order gets round to you, after all of you practice and memorization, you flip open the menu and read the order out nice and slowly to the waiter. Furthermore, you point to what your ordering, like he’s a complete idiot and cant read, and you always pretend like you making up your mind on the spot when he/she reads off the options for the side ‘lets see baked potato or salad, that’s an interesting choice…’
Here’s the other thing that I though was funny. You might be having the most intense conversation of your life, or just a really fun time…. Someone could even be in the middle of a joke, but when the waiter walks up to your table, silence. Silence from everyone, and everyone turn to look at him like he’s now the most important person ever, which is funny cus you know all their going to ask is “How’s everything tasting tonight?” or some possible variant of that.
Oh and the Calgary Jazz festival is coming up, and im super pumped, 23rd and 24th are when im planning on going, I really want to see The Bad Plus. A fellow teacher also suggest I check out The October Trio, so I guess I will as well.

1 Comments:

At 12:41 a.m. , Blogger mike said...

Mmm jazz fest. Tasty.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home