Tuesday, February 27, 2007

rude awakening

so today in english we studied the poem Dulce et Ducem est. Its a poem about a a gas attack in WWI. Its very vivid and brutal. The poem contrast its title with its content, you see, the title means "It is sweet and proper to die for ones country". It was almost a shocking reminder of my friend Brad who died almost a year ago now while he was serving his country. We were great friends growing up. I find it hard to believe that it would be fitting for him to die for his country, but i still struggle with the fact that, yes, it is incredibly honourable. To hear my classmates go on and on about how it is not proper to die for ones country was hard, I would've said something, but i was torn, and still am. I don't know. Is is fitting to die while serving one's country?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home