Sunday, December 03, 2006

I don't know why im writing about this

I don't really know why im writing about this, but for some reason its really been on my heart the past few days.

Self-Esteem. When i think about that what comes to mind is those self help tapes that you play when you go to bed, you know "I am worth it, I am a good person..." well recently i've really noticed a slide in self-esteem. Not as much in guys, but mostly in girls. Now being a guy, you girls out there are thinking: He has no idea what its like to be a girl. And they would be right, maybe i have not right to be writing about this (wow, what an over use of right and write) but im going to write about it anyway.
I guess the thing that really put me off, was when one of my students called herself stupid in front of me. She was playing and she got frustrated and apologized to me for being stupid. I almost yelled at her, i really had to restraing myself. See, she is only about 8 years old and already she has a negative view of herself. I can see this reflected in her whole demeaner. As soon as she said it, I stopped her and told her to apologise. She asked "for what and to who" i told her to apologise to herself for being mean to herself. I said "you are not stupid, don't let anyone ever tell you that" After that her attitude changed. She is getting better, i keep telling her how good she is and how much potential she has.
Another case, another student, another girl, but a diffrent age. This student is 24. She didn't outright tell me that she is stupid, she didn't say that. But she just has this attitude that she will never be good enough and that no matter how hard she trys its never gonna happen. I get mad at her because of this, she is so musical and truly has a passion for music. I guess todays culture of 'i want it now' really effects us more than we thought. She wants to be so good, but she wants it now and can't understand why she can't just be good. And this really seems to be effecting her self-esteem. What i do each lesson then is play a song for her that i like. Its nothing really hard, just a good song. What i'm attempting to do with this is show her that the fruits of music are so worth the hardship of practice.

I don't know if much of this self-esteem problem is our (guys) problem but if it is, im sorry. I don't know if we put too much pressure on you or what. I don't know what im trying to accomplish, but if i can help some girl feel better about herself, i would feel better about myself i guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home