Monday, June 09, 2008

PWND...EPIC....SAWEETTT

It doesn't really what form of exclamation you take, the fact still remains, i quit Golftown in an epic way. First let me explain as to why i quit. They started cutting my hours, mid-week actually, and then didn't bother to tell me, let me find out on my own, and getting to drive into the city everyday was taking its toll on my car and my wallet. So on Wednesday (my day off) i drove into Golftown and gave my verbal 2 weeks notice. My boss said "I need that in writing", so, i took a piece of paper from the printer, got a pen, and wrote out "This is my 2 weeks notice effective of yada yada, and my last shift will be yada yada" Then i gave it to him. He asked if i was sure, because really, im leaving GT before the biggest week of the year. I told him i was sure, and left. The next day when i came in for my first cut-back shift (9-4:30 became 11-3) one of my bosses took me aside and told me that had been bought out. This was great! wait....tell me John* what does being bought out mean. "We've decieded to buy out your last three shifts this week, so we are going to pay you and you won't have to work, is this okay?" I asked if i got a choice in the matter and i was told no, to which i replied "Then does it matter if its okay? I gave my two weeks notice, which means if you are going to buy me out you need to pay me for 2 weeks, not 3 cut shifts" I was told that, no, i was wrong. I tried to explain the law to my bosses, but i was told "We are just the messengers". I told them that i had to think about some things, and i left. I called my father, and told him that something was not right with this situation. I asked him to call some judges or lawyers and find out (see he's good friends with some people in high places) I got a call back shortly, it was my father, and he explained that i was indeed right and that this was indeed wrong, and an illegal practice actually. If i was to be bought out written notice was required, and that two weeks full time pay was needed (as i was working full time hours). He told me that he was coming down to talk to my boss. See my dad is not as 'reserved' as i am. He tends to get his opinion across quite well. He came down to the store and i pointed out my Assistant Manager. My father then said: "My name is Rob Laird and i am representing my son Don Laird, i was wondering if there is some place we can talk. (we walked to the office and he introduces himself and as does my boss) I am a member of the Federal Court of Canada, James*, and as such i can tell you that under the Alberta Labour Law, Division 8, Sections 58-62 specifially section 59, what Golftown is practicing here is an illegal procedure." He then explained to my wide-eyed boss that if this situation was not rattified by the next morning he and i would be in to serve papers against Golftown and to file a complaint with the Labour Board. He got a call less than an hour later from an executive of Golftown asking if it would be okay if he could extend a personal appology for the confusion and if it would be okay if they could courrier a cheque directly to our house.

Today was my first shift at Starbucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home