Thursday, October 23, 2008

What I've Learned From School

When i was younger i wasn't a very good student, its not that school was overly hard, it was more like i wasn't very interested in learning what was in books. But, not everything you need to learn in life comes from books. For example: Math is not my best subject, but what i have learned is that sometimes letters can be numbers, and, i learned to add my weaknesses together and subtract them from the sum total of myself, to multiply my strengths, and to not divide others. When we learned how to count money i would always lose count, but i learned that the best way to make change didn't come from a pocket of coins, but from the words on my tounge and the actions of my hands. In English i learned to compose an apology and to write my wrongs, and to never judge a book by its cover, Shakespeare has some very boring covers, but can teach us more about human nature than any other book written. In Social studies we studied the economy, and how money affects the world, how to invest and what to invest in, and that most valuable comodoty, even more so than gold, is love, its very scarce in the world these days. We learned about various people groups around the world, and how different so many cultures are, but no matter how different people are they are still people, and they should be treated as such. Music class taught me to appreciate sound, to listen to all kinds of music, that if i limit what i listen to i only limit myself, and sometimes its best to stop making noise, rest, and just listen....silence is part of music too. I was terrible at drawing, so art class was tough for me, i learned to draw inspirtation from the world around me and to appreciate things i couldn't understand. In physics i learned to respect the gravity of tough situations, the world is bigger than just me, and there are things that we can't see, but they are still there. There are questions that are not easily answered, and they may never be. In Gym class i learned to wrestle, and that sometimes when someone pushes you, the best defence isn't to push back, but to just roll with it, use your opponts weight against him. When we played hockey i learned that sometimes the point isn't to win, but to just have fun, even if you lose, no one likes a sore loser. And when i graduated i realized that life is short, that school doesn't last forever, but learning lasts your entire life.

1 Comments:

At 6:36 p.m. , Anonymous Cassie said...

I think that this is great.
It reminds me of Anis Mojgani.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home