Friday, November 09, 2007

War

I never start these knowing what to write....

Sunday is November 11, and that means its Rememberance Day in Canada. This is the day that Canadians remember the sacrifice of fallen soldiers. We remember the cost of our freedom. That cost was, and is immense.

Not many people know that i almost joined the military. I was planning on joining after highschool. I didn't feel led to do it though. The one thing that changed my mind was the loss of a dear friend. Cpl. Brad Howell of Halifax, Nova Scotia. We grew up together, we went through Cadets together, then he moved out east.

Here is what i know; Brad gave his life for others. That is sufficent enough for me. I hope one day to be so honourable.

I don't want to be political, and say anything about 'the war', so i won't. I will say that the soldiers are there, and they are: Husbands, Wives, Sons, Daughters, Friends, Lovers, Fiances, Boyfriends, Girlfriends, Cousins, and Neighbours. They are real people, that sacrifice daily for others. I can't say that they give for us, but they give more for the people of Afghanistan.

In Flander's Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses
Row on Row
That mark our place
Within the sky
The lark still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below

We are the dead
Short days ago we lived
Felt dawn
Felt sunset glow
Loved, and were loved
But now we lie
In Flanders Field

Take up your quarrel with the foe
From failing hands we throw
The torch be yours to hold it high
If you break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep
Though poppies grow
In Flander's Field

-Lt. John McRae

Blue Sky Brad...Blue Sky

1 Comments:

At 10:24 a.m. , Blogger Gena said...

Well said Donald.
<>< G

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home