Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Foosball's for the Devil!

So i went to my old highschool on saturday to watch a football game. I went to keep my mom company as she was kind of obligated to go (this happens when your a teacher). I realized how lucky i am not to have been forced to play sports growing up. I saw parents yelling at the refs, and i asked aloud without thinking (seriously): Why are you yelling at the ref, yelling at him isn't gonna change his descision....and its not gonna change what the kid did? I got some looks from parents when i said that. I thought i was thinking it, well i was, but i was thinking aloud. oops. I then thanked my mom for not making me do sports. Its not like i never played sports when i was younger, i played in a organized soccer league (or football as i've grown to call it, like the rest of the world) and it fostered my love for the game. On that note, at the 'football' game i said, aloud again (i must have been really tired): In real football the clock doesn't stop, and it counts up. Again, more weird looks.


Anyway, i just thought of something. My friend Kirstyn got me thinking about something theother day. She's taking an environmental studies class at school, and we got to talking about the definition of the word wilderness. She says that Wilderness is anything around us, and anything that we do. Now no offense Kirstyn, but that is totally a city person response. Unless you have ever experienced (oh no im sounding like an existentialist) true wilderness you won't know what it is. I think wilderness is an idea. Now bear with me while i unpack the idea. If you look at the word, it contains the word wild, to me 'wild' is something uncontroable. So wilderness is something uncontroallable. If you are in wilderness, your in a place that you cannot control. There is not much physical wilderness left in the world. Humans have controlled so much, for example; If you are in a forest with your camper and food and supplies, you are not in wilderness. You are in the forest. If you are in the forest, with just the clothes on your back, and nothing else, with no idea what to do, and your not in control, THEN you are in wilderness. Wilderness though is much more than physical, you can be in emotional wilderness as well, thats a place, like i stated earlier, that you cannot control. Emotional wilderness is much more common, and unlike the physical wilderness (which only some really get to experience), this is much more widely experienced. That hard break-up, the stress of school, the death of a friend...those times when you feel just worn out, and lost. That is wilderness. To me wilderness is an experience and an idea. Comments anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home