Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Heirarchy of Golf...


So today i was working a GT doing what i do, selling shoes and bags and these three guys come into my depertment. I knew who they were imediatly. Well not "who" they were but "who" sent them. They were from Callaway Golf. Which if you don't know much about Golf, Callaway could be like a Rolls Royce in the Car World, or a Steinway and Sons piano. So they make some of the best, an consiquently, some of the most pricy "stuff" out there. But i digress... Anyway i go up and shake their hands. You can tell a lot about a man from his handshake. You can tell first whether or not he is confident, or shy. You can tell if he has a big ego, if he's a control freak, you can tell if they carry a fake-self-confidence. Lots of stuff, all through the meer exchange of names and a brief shake of a hand. In the movie Narnia Mr. Tumnus and Lucy meet. Lucy puts out her hand for Tumnus to shake. And he questioned her of why would he "shake" her hand. She didn't know. I think sizing each other up is the point of the handshake. But more to the point. I shook the hands of the three men. One was in charge of marketing for Callaway, One was in charge of Sales for Callaway, and one was our area rep. The Last one not so high up the callaway ladder, but the first two were. They kind of reminded me of the guys on "The Apprentice" Very clean-cut, confident, charistatic... straight buissness men. So the point of my story is to tell you what happened in our chance meeting. They were very intrested in my oppinions because, well, i sell their stuff. Unfortunatly for them i don't kiss up to them like some of the other staff. Basically I treated them like customers. Now im not all that great in bags. Bags are bags. He's a tip if you ever are looking for a new Golf Bag. Just spend the money and get and Ogio. There. So they tested me a little and asked me to sell them one of their bags. So i did and gave them a bunch of consumer feed back. But shoes is were i really shine. No pun intended. They asked whats your most popular shoe. I told them the footjoy contour. They asked why. I said because they are more comfortable than yours. Now whats funny when you take someone from a buisness world that lives in a bubble and put them in the real world with real data sometimes they get surprised. I told them the Contour has been our best selling shoe for 5 years in a row and on its way to a 6th and i told them its got a good price point. They were very intrested. I went company by company and told them what they were doing. Good and bad. Then i went into salesperson mode and got them onto our niffty foot scanning machine. I impressed them i guess with my knowlegde of feet and shoes and yada yada. In the end they said they were very glad to meet me and they will be back. So i don't know if they fed me the line to make me feel good, but hey, it worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home